Sunday, June 30, 2013

Idaho's Love Affair with Paul Revere

This was an unplanned blog. My wife and I attended the "Big Jack Armstrong Benefit Concert" last night at the Boise Centre on the Grove to see Paul Revere and the Raiders play in the intimate setting that made it seem like a private concert. Over $26,000 was raised last night to benefit the Armstrong family and help restore Big Jack's health.

It's been 20 years since I last saw Paul perform at the Centre on the Grove, when his wife sang "Happy Birthday" to me from the stage.
I was struck last night with the love affair between this wonderful showman and the hometown crowd. He was born and raised in Caldwell, Idaho, the self-described son of a potato farmer, and today, all of the Treasure Valley claims him as their own.

Last night, the band performed Cherokee Nation, Kicks, Good Thing, Hungry, American Band and Louie, Louie, and as Paul acknowledged his affection and respect for each member of his band, I was reminded of the great times I had belonging for a time to the family that was the Raiders. The band members' affection for their leader was clearly apparent. The show was, as always, a rock and roll retrospective, but for me, a brief link with those amazing days in the 60's when a truly "American Band",  Paul Revere and the Raiders, was at the top of the charts.

Thank you for 55 years of great American Rock and Roll, Paul !!

Charlie "Once-a-Raider-Always-A-Raider" Coe

3 comments:

  1. Great post. What an amazing musical career and legacy. Glad you were able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Charlie! I used to love seeing all of you on Happening 68!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute! Growing up I loved all the member's of the Raiders...and I still do.

    ReplyDelete